Before the Event:
- Prepare an introductory "elevator pitch" about yourself.
- Wear appropriate clothing/shoes- it will help give you confidence in yourself, and you'll look more professional as well.
- Turn off your cell phone!
- Check out our Networking Etiquette page!
During the Event:
- Stand up to greet people, especially if you haven't met them before.
- Remember to smile, and offer a firm handshake.
- Let others know your name and what you do, to facilitate conversation.
- Feel free to ask for business cards and offer your own.
- Keep a positive attitude about yourself and others.
- Listen to what the other person is saying.
After the Event:
- Call or email them to keep in touch - a good timeline is three to five days afterward.
- Return phone calls promptly.
- Arrange to meet again sometime soon.
- Follow up on any potential leads- whether you get a job lead, or just the name of someone who works in the field you're looking to enter.